Resources for Individual Artists
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Welcome! This is a resource for people who are invested in improving the lives of artists everywhere.
Welcome! This is a resource for people who are invested in improving the lives of artists everywhere.
We have three pages for resources geared towards your work:
- Resources for Grantmakers
- Resources for Individual Artists
- Resources for Organizations Working With Artists
- Professional Artist - A website for visual artists attempting to improve their art businesses.
- NYFA | Can a Business Model Sustain Art? - Create an innovative business model.
- ArtsyShark | Most of Your Art Marketing Will Fail - Maintaining the right mindset while selling art.
- ArtsyShark | Make Your Art Show Booth into a Gallery - Three takes on setting up an art show booth.
- ArtsyShark | Increase Your Profit Margins: Raise Your Prices
- ArtsyShark | Know Your Customer
- ArtsyShark | Is Your Art Right for the Corporate Market?
- The Abundant Artist | Selling More Paintings with an Annual Secret Sale
- Creator Academy | Build a Business on YouTube
Internet and Social Media
- ArtsyShark | 6 Ways to Boost Your Online Art Sales
- The Abundant Artist | How Many People Do You Need On Your Mailing List?
- The Abundant Artist | 5 Steps to Better Email Marketing for Artists
- Artwork Archive | A Fresh Social Media Strategy for Artists in 2017
- Social Media Week | Location-Based Social Media: An Art Form Worth Perfecting
- Creative Capital Blog | Social Media Tips: It's About Quality, Not Quantity
- YouTube for Artists
- The MFA Years | Fully Funded MFA Programs - A list of affordable MFA programs.
- Vice Creators | The Price to Pay - Four artists weigh in on the merits of getting an MFA
- Artsy | For Artists Who Can’t Afford to Get an MFA, Alternatives Now Abound
- Student Loan Repayment Calculator - Determine how much to budget each month to pay off student loans.
- Createquity | When Artistic Education Matters
- CERF+ | Studio Protector: The Artist's Guide to Emergencies
- For funding options, see Emergency Funding
Writing a Grant Application
- RISD | Grant and Proposal Tips
- The Abundant Artist | How to Write Grants For Your Art Project - Some steps to earn money for upcoming projects.
- NYFA Source
- New England Foundation for the Arts
- Arts Midwest
- South Arts
- Mid-America Arts Alliance
- Mid-Atlantic Arts Foundation
- Western States Arts Foundation
- The Alexia Foundation - Funding for students and professional photographers.
- Visura - Funding for photographers.
- The Gordon Parks Foundation - Short-time fellowships for artists who promote social justice.
- The Aaron Siskind Individual Photographers Fellowship Grants - Funding for photographers.
- Art Jewelery Forum - $20,000 grant for midcareer jewelery makers.
- Dorothea Lange-Paul Taylor Prize - $10,000 grant for documentary project writer-photographer duo.
- Pollock-Krasner Foundation - Merit-based and need-based grants for visual artists.
- Women's Studio Workshop - Grants and residencies for artists working in printmaking, papermaking, bookmaking, and ceramics.
- Puffin Foundation - $1,000-$2,500 grants for all kinds of artists whose genre/philosophy is uncommon.
- The Sustainable Arts Foundation - Unrestricted cash awards and residency opportunities to artists with families.
- ART WORKS - Grants for media arts professionals.
- Our Town - Grant for projects that help revitalize communities.
- UrbanGlass - Funding for artists working with medium of glass.
- The Vilcek Foundation - Annual prizes for immigrants in the performing arts.
- Princess Grace Awards - Grants for emerging theater, dance, and film artists.
- Patreon - Alternative source for funding through subscription system.
- Emphas.is - Crowdfunding for "meaningful projects."
- Pozible - Crowdfunding for projects.
- RocketHub - Global community for entrepreneurs.
- Indiegogo - Launchpad for entrepreneurial ideas.
- ArtistShare - Crowdfunding resource dedicated to artists.
- The Harriet Hale Woolley Scholarships at the Foundation des Etats-Unis - Funding for graduate-level practice in music and the visual art.
- National Sculpture Society, Inc. Scholarship - Scholarships of $2,000 for students studying sculpture.
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Visual Arts Fellowship - Scholarships for artists and art historians who reside in Virginia.
- Worldstudio Foundation AIGA Scholarships - $2,000-3,000 scholarships for arts students from minority or economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Union League Civic & Arts Foundation - Scholarships for visual arts students in Chicago.
- CERF+ - Voluntary task force supplying temporary relief to artists.
- HOWL Emergency Life Project (HELP) - Emergency support for artists who have participating in the HOWL Festival.
- The Haven - Assistance for artists facing career-threatening emergencies.
- Alliance of Artists Communities (AAC) Residencies for Artists Affected by a Natural Disaster - Short-term residencies for artists affected by natural disasters.
- Adolph and Esther Gottlieb Foundation, Inc. - Typically-$5,000 award to artists facing unexpected disaster.
- Artists' Charitable Fund - Financial support for artists struck by medical, fire or other distaster.
- Joan Mitchell Foundation Emergency Grant - Emergency financial support for artists working with painting, sculpture or drawing.
- Artists' Fellowship, Inc. - Financial assistance for artists "in times of sickness, natural disaster, bereavement or unexpected extreme hardship."
- Max's Kansas City Project - Emergency funding for professionals in the creative arts who live in New York state.
- Foundation for Contemporary Arts Emergency Grants - $200-$2500 in funding for artists dealing with hardship or who incur unexpected expenses for projects close to completion date.
- Visual Aid - Assistance to help artists with life-threatening illnesses continue work.
- The Dancers fund - Emergency funding for Chicago-based dancers.
- NYFA - Find a Job in the Arts - Advice on looking for jobs and getting your foot in the door.
- NYFA | The Business of Art: A Q&A - Advice and guidance for arts administrators and art educators.
- NYFA | How to Get a Job at a Museum - An overview of the types of museum jobs.
- NYFA | How to Get a Job in Development - An overview of skills needed to get a job in development.
- NYFA | Five Commonly Asked Interview Questions - Common questions for arts professionals.
- NYFA | How Social Media Can Help Your Job Search - Networking on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- NYFA | How Does A Gallery Find Me? - One gallerist's perspective.
Housing and Studio Space
- Artspace - National group for artist housing.
- Assets for Artists | Space Finder - Selected artist space resources.
- TransArtists | Studio Spaces - Studio space listings around the world.
- Empty Easel | 4 Questions to Consider Before Renting a Space for Your Art Studio
- The Listings Project - Free newsletter of real estate opportunities for artists and creatives.
- SPACE Studios - Affordable studio space in London.
- Brokelyn | Your Guide to Free and Cheap Studio Space in Brooklyn
Picking a Residency
- Asian Cultural Council - Arts exchanges in Asia.
- Japan Foundation - 2-12 month residencies in Japan
- Art Shape Mammoth International Artist Exchange - Exchanges to Iceland, Finland, and China.
- The Nordic Artists' Center - Artistic community in Scandinavia with accomodations provided.
- The American-Scandinavian Foundation - Grants for arts professionals to support intercultural dialogue.
- Arts Envoys - American arts professionals travel overseas to conduct workshops, give performances, and mentor young people.
- US-Cuba Artist Exchange - Encourages cultural dialogue between Cubans and Americas
- Sacatar Foundation - Six-to-twelve week residencies in a beachside town in Brazil.
- Alliance of Artists - United States residencies for all types of artists.
- Res Artist - Worldwide network of artist residencies.
- Trans Artists - Platform supporting international artist residencies.
- Residency Unlimited - Up-to-date information about artist residencies worldwide.
- U.S. National Parks Residency - 2-4 week residencies in North American national parks.
- MesArt Residency Listing - Broad list of residencies.
- China Residencies
- Air_J - Residencies in Japan
- Basil Alkazzi Artist-in-Residence - For painting artists who explore impact of light.
- Lighton International Artists Exchange Program - International residencies for visual artists and arts professionals.
- Woodstock A-I-R - For artists of color working in the medium of photography.
- McColl Center for Visual Art - Charlotte, NC-based residency program.
- Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture - Nine-week residency for painters and sculptors.
- The Millay Colony for the Arts - Residency for visual artists and composers of all experience levels.
- Isabel Stewart Gardner Artist-in-Residence Program - Flexible residencies for artists working in any medium.
- The Mattress Factory - Pittsburgh-based residency where artists create site-specific works.
- The Bemis Center - Residency for all types of artists that includes general stipend.
- Engaging Artists - For NYC-based artists interested in addressing the intersecting issues of labor, immigration, globalization, and economic justice.
- SOMArts Curatorial Residency Program - Based in SOMArts' Main Gallery space in San Francisco, CA.
Care & Preparedness
- Insurance in the Arts
- Actors Fund | Health Insurance Resource Center
- Fractured Artlas | Guide to Insurance for Artists - A collection of resources for health insurance, based on your type of work.
- Actors Fund Health Insurance Resource Center - Information on getting insured and workshops in LA and NYC.
- Actors Fund | Artist Access Program, Woodhull Medical and Mental Health Center - Brooklyn-based program that exchanges $40 health care credits for one hour of creative work.
Insurance & Preparedness
- NYFA | Emergency Preparedness for Artists - Advice on preparing for natural disasters.
- NYFA | An A/V Presentation Primer for Artists - Advice on backing up data.
- NYFA | Business Insurance for Individual Artists - Advice on insuring your professional assets.
- Art Law Journal | The Basics of Insurance for Artists - A broad overview of types of insurance an artist might consider.
- NYFA | Protect Yourself from Fraudelent Job Listings - How to avoid common job scams.
- My Art Resources | Self Care for Artists - Five short articles on taking care of yourself to maximize productivity.
- Rhonda Schiller | create meditate
Legal Services for Artists
- ArtBusiness | Common Artist Legal Problems and How to Avoid Them
- Clancoo - News about art law.
- NYFA | Photographers: Let the Shutters Fly - Know your rights as a photographer.
- NYFA | Business of Art: Copyright, Fair Use, and the New Borrowers
- United States Copyright Office
- Arts & Business Council of Greater Boston | Estate Planning & Legacy Services
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- Volunteer Lawyers for Artists - Chicago - Legal help and open seminars.
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts - New York City
- The Artists' and Innovators' Legal Clinic - Boulder, CO
- California Lawyers for the Arts
- sm-artly - Personal finance for artists.
- NYFA | Building a Project Budget - Step-by-step instructions for project budget building.
- NYFA | Are You Ready for Tax Season? - Three tips on thriving during tax season.
- Stockstreet Blog | Personal Finance for Artists - Concise round-up of what artists should know about personal finance
- On the Move - Advice for traveling artists.
- Planet Money by National Public Radio - Podcasts and other resources relating to financial topics relevant to the present time as well as finance's role in the art world.
- YNAB - You Need a Budget - A site to help artists with budgeting and finances.
- Love People + Make Money - Hosted by broadcaster Kelly McCausey, these podcasts provide advice to artists about starting and developing their businesses, setting financial goals and budgeting.
- Mint - For keeping track of budgets and bills.
- WiseBread - Financial health and general wellbeing.
- Investopedia - News and advice for investing.
- The Rich Dad Radio Show with Robert Kiyosaki - This radio show familiars listeners with complex financial topics and address current events related to finance and the economy
- ArtistsU - Artist-run incubator for changing working conditions for artists.
- Alliance of Artists' Communities
- Chicago Artists Resource
- Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council
- Regional Arts & Culture Council
- Montana Arts Council
- Springboard for the Arts
- United States Artist
- Arts Incubator of the Rockies
- Creative Capital - Workshops, Webinars, and Professional Development Resources for Artists
- Center for Cultural Innovation
- Ask Harriete - Blog by Harriete Estel Berman with practical solutions for issues facing artists.
- DiverseWorks - See the "For Artists" tab for resources.
- Side Street Projects
- Arts Council of New Orleans
- Arts Council of Metropolitan Kansas City
- Pittsburgh Center for the Arts
- Greater Hartford Arts Council
- Alliance for California Traditional Arts - Apprenticeship program, roundtable series, etc.
- American Society of Journalists and Authors - Mentorship program, conferences, events, emergency funding, etc.
- Art Biz Coach
- Artist Inc.
- Arts & Science Council of Charlotte - Programs and Grants
- Houston Arts Alliance - Grants, workshops, support, etc.
- Art and Business Council of Greater Nashville - Free legal help, seminars and workshops
- Brooklyn Art Incubator | Working Artist Services
- Burlington City Arts | Artist Professional Development
- College Art Association - Programs, grant opportunities, job opportunities, etc.
- Common Field - Networking support, workshops, meet ups, field grants, etc.
- Connecticut Office of Culture and Tourism | Arts - Provides a list of programs and services as well as other resources for artists.
- Create Birmingham - Offers programs and resources to artists throughout greater Birmingham.
- Dramatists Guild - Offers business support and classes as well as an events calendar.
- First Peoples Fund - Offers support for artists through programs and grants.
- Flagstaff Arts Council - Provides professional development resources to artists in the way of programs, workshops, grants, etc.
- National Alliance for Musical Theatre
- National Arts Strategies - Provides resources with respect to management, marketing, money, strategy, etc.
- Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition - Offers support for artists in the way of programs, grants, workshops, etc.
- Queens Council on the Arts - Offers grants as well as grant writing courses, workshops, opportunities, etc.
- Regional Arts Commission of St. Louis - Provides grants as well as supports artists through events and community development.
- Society of North American Goldsmiths - Resources for artists as well as conference listings, lectures, etc.
- South Carolina Arts Commission | For Artists - Provides a list of resources that relate to legal support, events, opportunities, funding, etc. in order to provide support for artists located in South Carolina.
- The Actors Fund - Provides support regarding finances, career development, health insurance, etc. as well as online resources and workshops.
- Arts Engaged - Offers resources for artists with regard to training, support, etc.
- Visual Artist Resource Guide - Resources for artists located in Connecticut.
- The Art Career Project - Provides resources for career and skill development.
- League of American Orchestras - Provides support for orchestras throughout America.
- Theatre Communications Group - Offers a variety of resources and opportunities in the way of programs, services, grants, networking, etc.
Articles, Workshops, & Other Links
- Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council
- WomenArts | Tips for Artists Starting Out - Advice on networking, setting goals, and being realistic
- The Abundant Artist | The Importance of Following Successful Living Artists - Define success and find role models.
- Fast Company | 10 Techniques from Professional Artists for Breaking Through Creative Block - Strategies to spark creativity.
- Americans for the Arts | Professional Development - Webinars and more.
- Artists U | Making Your Life as an Artist
- Arizona Commission on the Arts | AZ ArtWorker Program
- Arts & Business Council of Greater Boston | Artist Webinars
- Arts Council of Indianapolis | Artist Resources
- Arts Incubator of the Rockies | Knowledge Center
- C4 Atlanta | Business Resources for Artists
- Career Transition for Dancers - Video Career Conversations
- Center for Cultural Innovation | Publications
- Chamber Music America | Video Library
- Chicago Artists Resource | Survival Guide
- Montana Arts Council | Montana Artrepreneur Program (MAP)
- New Museum | New Inc.'s Professional Development Program
- SOMArts - Provides classes in photography, printmaking, ceramics, etc. and programs for artists as well as exhibition and event listings.
- The Artist Next Level - A podcast to help artists set goals and provide tips related to professional development.
- Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders - A podcast dedicated to a discussion of entrepreneurship.
- The Art A&A Podcast - A podcast dedicated to helping creative individuals with professional development.
- Entrepreneurs on Fire - Resources dedicated to aiding entrepreneurs in their pursuits.
Consultations & Workshops
- Artist Trust | Workshops & Events
- Artist U | Core Program
- Arts & Business Council fo Greater Boston | Seminars & Workshops
- Arts Council of Indianapolis | Professional Development Series - Workshops to help navigate the business side of the arts, you can sign up for a newsletter on their website to be notified as workshops are announced.
- Asheville Area Arts Council | Artist Resource Center - The Artist Resource Center has a variety of resources and equipment available for artists to use, including computers and creative software.
- Assets for Artists - Available in Massachusetts, Portland, Maine, New York City and Rhode Island, Assets for Artists is a program that sets savings goals and provides financial and business training, and at the end, matches the savings accumulated by the artist up to $2,000. Program is by application.
- C4 | Ignite Lite - A one hour training presentation about developing a business plan, including different business models, goal setting, and core mission and values. C4 serves the Atlanta area.
- C4 | TechsmARTS - A bi-monthly meeting with a moderated panel focusing on using technology as a tool to help artists and arts administrators build their careers. C4 serves the Atlanta area.
- Center for Cultural Innovation | Workshops
- Community Partnerships for Arts and Culture | Counsel and Connections - Consultations for Cleveland-based artists.
- Corzo Center for Creative Economy | Open Office Hours
- Creative Many | Programs
- Cue Arts | Meeting Artists' Needs - Professional development series for artists of all ages and backgrounds in New York City.
- Cultural Alliance of Fairfield County | Marketing Roundtable
- Delta Arts Alliance | Artist Survival Skills Workshop
- Fresh Arts | Workshops
- Lower Manhattan Cultural Council | Professional Development
- Milwaukee Artists Resource Network | MARN Mentors
- National Alliance for Media Arts and Culture | National Leadership Institute - 5-day workshop for artists and arts professionals.
- NY Designs | Pro(s) Bono - 30 minute consultations in Long Island City.
- Pave Program in the Arts | Entrepreneurship Speaker Series
- Self Employment in the Arts | Workshops and Panels - Based in Glen Elyn, IL.
- Springboard for the Arts | Work of Art Workshops - Twin Cities, MN artist professional development workshops.
- The Arts Council of Greater New Haven | Arts Resource Center
- The Center for Emerging Visual Artists | Direct Dialogues - Lectures for professional visual artists.
- Visual Art Exchange | Artists' Night - Lectures, demonstrations, and workshops for artists.
- AIR Institute of Berea College | AIR Programs
- Arts Business Institute - Provides strategies as well as resources on marketing and sales.
- ArtWorks | Creative Enterprise - Provides training and support regarding professional development.
- IAEOU - Offers professional development resources and social media services to help your business grow.
- The Clark Hulings Fund for Visual Artists -Provides resources and podcasts related to business development.
- Artwork Archive - An online tool that provides artists the tools they need to get organized, save time and run their business with confidence.
- Orangenius - Tools to help artists with business development
- Joan Mitchell Foundation | Creating a Living Legacy (CALL)
The Art Market
- Createquity | TEDx Talk: “Never Heard of ‘Em”: Why Citizen Curators (not Daddy’s Money) Should Decide Who Gets to Be an Artist
- Sotheby's Institute of Art | Art Business Today: 20 Key Topics - Art handbook by Director of Sotheby's Institute, London and Head of Art Business Studies, London
- Agora Gallery | How to Identify and Avoid Art Frauds - Make sure you have the tools to recognize a fraudulent company and protect yourself and your art.
- Art Marketing Action - A podcast dedicated to helping artists navigate through the art market.
- Art Tactic - A podcast that discusses the current state of the art market and topics relating to the art market.
- Artists Helping Artists - A podcasted dedicated to helping artists sell their work.
- Artwork Archive | 13 Do's and Don'ts to Stand Out at an Art Fair
- Artwork Archive | How to Get Accepted to More Art Fairs
- Artwork Archive | The Ultimate Art Fair Packing List
- The Profitable Artist, Artspire, 2011 ($24.95) - NYFA's collection of "best practices" for planning and organizing a career in the arts.
- The Artist's Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love, Jackie Battenfield, 2009 ($11.00) - Tough love approach with workbook.
- Getting Your Sh*t Together: The Ultimate Business Manual for Every Practicing Artist, Karen Atkinson, 2014, 2014 ($28.99) - An all-encompassing, easy to follow guide for artists looking to better their business practices.
- The Profitable Artist: A Handbook for All Artists in the Performing, Literary, and Visual Arts, Artspire, 2011 ($15.62) - "Best practices" approach with anecdotes, interviews, and case studies.
- The Artist's Guide to Public Art: How to Find and Win Commissions, Lynn Basa, 2008 ($19.95) - Thorough guide to winning commissions.
- Create Your Art Career: Practical Tools, Visualizations, and Self-Assessment Exercises for Empowerment and Success, Rhonda Schaller, 2013 ($11.42) - 50+ career planning exercises.
- Starting Your Career as an Artist: A Guide for Painters, Sculptors, Photographers, and Other Visual Artists , Angie Wojak et al., 2011 ($11.52) - Evaluating goals and creating plans of action.
- ART/WORK: Everything You Need to Know (and Do) As You Pursue Your Art Career, Heather Darcy Bhandari et al. , 2009 ($12.75) - Comprehensive career guide.
- Art, Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist, Lisa Congdon, 2014 ($11.52) - Advice on turning your passion into profit, with chapters on copyrighting, marketing, licensing and more.
- Making Your Life as an Artist - Book and Workbook, Andrew Simonet
- Create Your Art Career: Practical Tools, Visualizations, and Self-Assessment Exercises for Empowerment and Success by Rhonda Schaller
- The Artist's Guide to Grant Writing: How to Find Funds and Write Foolproof Proposals for the Visual, Literary, and Performing Artist , Gigi Rosenberg, 2010
- Art-Write: The Writing Guide for Visual Artists Vicki Amorose, 2013 ($7.99) - A practical guide on writing about your own art in order to connect with your viewers and advance professionally.
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life Anne Lamott, 2007 ($11.99) - Part narrative and part advice, a book about finding your voice in writing.
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, Stephen King, 2000 ($9.91) A "revealing and practical view of the writer's craft" that combines memoir and advice.
- The Writing Life Annie Dillard, 2009 ($8.36) - A collection of stories about what to expect in a life as a writer.
- Arts & Numbers: A Financial Guide for Artists, Writers, Performers, and Other Members of the Creative Class, Elaine Grogan Luttrull , 2013
- The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing, Benjamin Graham, 2006 ($12.81) - A well-established guide to investing money.
- Unshakeable: Your Financial Freedom Playbook Tony Robbins 2017, $15.06 - Financial coach shares advice on creating an actionable plan to save money.
- Random Walk Down Wall Street: The Time-Tested Strategy for Successful Investing, Burton G. Malkiel, 2016 ($13.56) - A guide to index-investing that will help you save in the long term.
- The Art Life: On Creativity and Career, Stuart Horodner et al., 2012
- Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative, Austin Kleon, 2012 ($12.95) - A guide to put readers of the digital age in touch with their creative side.
- Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All, Tom Kelley and David Kelley, 2013 ($32.00) - The founders of IDEO share how to nurture creativity and innovation.
- The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life, Twyla Tharp, 2003 ($7.19) - A set of thirty-two practical exercises to help drive creativity.
- The Artist's Way: 25th Anniversary Edition, Julia Cameron, 1992, $11.55 - A classic book filled with creativity-building exercises.
- Living and Sustaining a Creative Life: Essays by 40 Working Artists, Sharon Louden et al., 2013 ($9.99) - Artists' words on maintaining creativity.
- The Artist as Culture Producer: Living and Sustaining a Creative Life , Sharon Louden et al., 2017 ($41.98) - A sequel.
- The War of Art, Steven Pressfield, 2011 ($9.91) - A short, tough-love read about overcoming mental block.
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity, David Allen, 2015 ($9.90) - Book on personal organization with actionable plans.
- Thinking Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman, 2013 ($8.95) - Practical insights by a psychologist about using "slow thinking" to get things done.
- Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking, David Bayles & Ted Orland, 1993 ($12.95) - Why some art is created and why art often seems to scary to create.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie, 1936 ($9.90) - A timeless book about the best practices to make new acquaintances in order to achieve results.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change, Stephen Covey, 1989 ($10.57) - An all-encompassing manual for building great habits.
- Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill, 1937 ($3.99) - A classic, brief book on maintaining a positive mental attitude and achieving personal success.