Difference between revisions of "Resources for Organizations Working With Artists"
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
* [[Resources for Grantmakers]]
* [[Resources for Grantmakers]]
== Advocacy ==
== Advocacy ==
Revision as of 16:26, 12 July 2017
Welcome! This is a resource for people who are invested in improving the lives of artists everywhere.
We have three pages for resources geared towards your work:
- Resources for Organizations Working With Artists
- Resources for Individual Artists
- Resources for Grantmakers
(input tremaine information - checklist, research - include section (or program and services), Access (indiv artists pro development), scams (services and programs),
- WebAIM - Empowers organizations to make their websites friendly for people with disabilities.
- NEA's Section 504 Workbook - Workbook from the NEA that allows organizations to evaluate how accessible their programs are.
- NEA's Civil Rights (External) Complaint Process - NEA's process for filing civil rights complaints.
- Arts Action Fund - National arts advocacy group dedicating 100% of time to advancing the arts.
- Americans for the Arts Advocacy Toolkit - A guide for organizations that politically advocate on behalf of artists.
- VisualArts.net | National Association for the Visual Arts - Australian organization with examples of arts campaigns.
- Grantmakers in the Arts | Supporting Individual Artists: Ten Years, Ten Lessons
- Why Should Government Support the Arts?
- Grantmakers in the Arts | Supporting Individual Artists: A Toolbox
- Grantmakers in the Arts | Support for Individual Artists in the Folk and Traditional Arts Julie Dalgleish
- Grantmakers in the Arts | Understanding Support for Individual Artists: Making a Case for National Standards, John Carnwath
- Why Cities Can’t Afford to Lose Their Artists, Richard Florida, 2014.
- Grantmakers in the Arts | Supporting Individual Artists—Preserving the Core of Humanity, GIA Support for Individual Artists Group Steering Committee, 2011
- McKinsey | And the Winner is… Philanthropists and Governments Make Prizes Count McKinsey & Company, 2009.
- Local Arts Network - Forum for leaders in local arts institutions to discuss barriers and success stories.
- Private Sector Network - Network of businesses interested in partnering with arts organizations.
- National Council of Nonprofits: Find Your State Association - Listings of nonprofits in your state.
- Arts & Culture: Community Connections - An Urban Institute report on the benefits of engaging communities with art.
- Writing a Grant Application for Funding - Step-by-step instructions on writing a grant application.
- How Nonprofits Use Social Media to Engage with Communities - Using social media to assess the needs of your community.
- Strong Corporate Cultures Are “Self-Organizing” - Private sector organizing that is relevant in the social profit sector.
- Succession Planning for Nonprofits - Managing Leadership Transitions - Some considerations for writing a succession plan.
- Why and How to Hire an Interim Executive Director
- The Nonprofit Leadership Development Deficit - On preparing homegrown leaders at nonprofits.
- Exit Planning for Retiring Nonprofit CEOs - Balancing the "three jobs" of a leaving CEO.
- Organizational Capacity Assessment Tool - A tool by McKinsey & Co to help nonprofits identify operational capacity, strengths, and weaknesses.
- How to Develop Yourself as a Nonprofit Leader - Advice from six senior nonprofit leaders.
- Nonprofit Leadership Strategies For Attracting And Retaining Talent - Retaining talent in order to by helping employees develop.
- Strengthen Your Nonprofit with a Strategic Partnership - Benefits of partnership when working with budget constraints.
- What is Capacity Building? - Investing in effectiveness and sustainability for your organization.
- The Rainin Arts Real Estate Strategy - A collaborative strategy connecting resources in the community to the real estate needs of arts and cultural organizations.
Engaging with Artists
- MASSCreative -Organization that supports arts organizations in Massachusetts
- Cultural Collaborations: Building Partnerships for Arts Participation - A study about how to partner with artists and the benefits of creating alliances.
- Arts & Planning Toolkit - Toolkit for community development workers through projects that engage arts, culture, and the creative community.
- Toolkit: Engaging Your Community
- Artists as Leaders - A talk by the president of RISD about appreciating the role of artists in society.
- W.A.G.E. - Focused on regulating the payment of artist fees and establishing sustainable labor relationships between artists and the institutions.
- W.A.G.E. Certification - Certification for non-profits committed to paying artists equitably.
- W.A.G.E. Fee Calculator - Calculates equitable pay rate for artists based on nonprofit's TAOE.
- Are You Working Too Much? Post-Fordism, Precarity, and the Labor of Art - Collection of academic essays regarding the structures that contribute to low wages for artists.
- Report: Researching Artists’ Working Lives - An introduction to understanding research around paying artists.
- Exhibition Payment Guide - Guidelines for paying artists for exhibitions in nonprofit arts spaces.
- Why Are Artists Poor? The Exceptional Economy of the Arts - Understanding the "economy of the arts" as atypical.
- How the National Endowment for the Arts Funds the Arts - A comprehensive overview of government arts funding.
- Report: Americans Support Increases in Government Arts Funding - Facts and figures regarding public opinion of arts funding.
Funding Individual Artists
- Fiscal Sponsorship for Nonprofits - Information regarding the benefits of adopting the model of fiscal sponsorship.
- Fiscal Sponsorship: Six Ways to Do It Wrong - Avoiding legal complications in a fiscal sponsorship program.
- 11 Experts on How to Get New Donors - Advice on creating a donor network and using it effectively.
- Fiscal Sponsorship: A Valuable Option for Grantmakers and Grantees - Quick legal information on ensuring a fiscal sponsor is eligible to give.
- Also visit our page Resources for Grantmakers.
Services & Programs
- Creating an Artist-Friendly Community
- Report: Measuring Program Success - Academic report on guidelines for measuring program success.
- How to Develop a Community Arts Council - Structuring an arts council for success.
- Arts Projects: Charitable or Not? - Understanding which programs may legally qualify for tax exemptions.
- Emerging Leaders Network - Organization that helps young people in arts administration reach their full potential
- Review of Scholarly Research on Artist Support - Surveys of the literature on individual artists’ sources of support and related
- Nonprofits, You Are the Champions for Diversity, Inclusion and Equity - Moving on from conversation about diversity to meaningfuk action.
- 7 Tips on How Nonprofits can Attract Corporate Funding: Part Two - Advice from social profit sector veterans on raising money from corporations.
- 7 Tips on How Nonprofits can Attract Corporate Funding: Part One - Advice from social profit sector veterans on raising money from corporations.
- Building Culturally Competent Organizations - Case study in working with diverse communities and maximizing efficiency in periods of change.
- Embracing a More Diverse Audience in Arts and Culture - Making organizational changes to capture more diverse audiences.
- What's Your Feedback Loop? - Incentivizing feedback.
- Why Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Matter for Nonprofits - Prioritizing diversity in order to build more effective organizations.
- Implicit Bias and Its Role in Philanthropy and Grantmaking - Understanding the science of implicit bias.
- 5 Charts that Illustrate the Racial Bias in the Nonprofit World - Facts and figures depicting inequality at all levels of the nonprofit world.
Blogs & News
- Jumper - Diane Ragsdale on what the arts do and why.
- Artivate - Organization committed to expanding access to arts, with blog posts.
- The Artful Manager - Andrew Taylor on the business of arts and culture.
- Createquity - Think tank investigating issues in the arts.
- Barry's Blog - News, advice, and opinion for the arts administrator.
- Harvard Business Review - Ideas and Advice for leaders.
- Artrepreneur - Entrepreneurship, technology, law, and conversation in the arts.
- Bridgespan Group Highlights - News and advice from top nonprofit consultants.
- ArtsJournal - Source for arts and cultural journalism.
- Non Profit Quarterly - News about innovations in the nonprofit sector.
- Classy - Fundraising platform with social profit sector blog.
- Nonprofit Law Blog - Legal news and advice for nonprofits by category.
- The Social Profit Handbook, David Grant, 2015 ($15.95) - A guide for assessing impact in a mission-driven organization.
- When Leaders Leave: A New Perspective on Leadership Change - Priscilla Rosenwald & Lesley Mallow Wendell, 2013 ($9.99) - Steps for organizations to thrive during a leadership change.
- Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High-Impact Nonprofits, Leslie Crutchfield & Heather Grant, 2007 ($29.95) -
- The Executive Director's Guide to Thriving as a Nonprofit Leader, Mim Carlson & Mararet Donohoe, 2010 ($32.30)