Difference between revisions of "Resources for Individual Artists"
From Supporting Individual Artists
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Welcome! This is a resource for people who are invested in improving the lives of artists everywhere. We
Welcome! This is a resource for people who are invested in improving the lives of artists everywhere. We :
*the thriving of artists
*intentional and accountable about matters of equity
*a high societal value on art, artists, and creativity
*collaboration between artists and decision-makers in all sectors
*the broadest possible range of connections between artists and communities
== Marketing ==
== Marketing ==
Revision as of 18:22, 10 July 2017
Welcome! This is a resource for people who are invested in improving the lives of artists everywhere. We strive to uphold the following standards:
- Supporting the thriving of artists;
- Being intentional and accountable about matters of equity;
- Placing a high societal value on art, artists, and creativity;
- Fostering collaboration between artists and decision-makers in all sectors; and
- Supporting the broadest possible range of connections between artists and communities.
We have three pages for resources geared towards your work:
- Resources for Organizations Working With Artists
- Resources for Individual Artists
- Resources for Grantmakers
- 1 Marketing
- 2 Education
- 3 Emergency Resources
- 4 Funding
- 5 Job Search
- 6 Housing and Studio Space
- 7 Residencies
- 8 Care & Preparedness
- 9 Legal Services for Artists
- 10 Personal Finance
- 11 Professional Development
- 12 Books
- Professional Artist - A website for visual artists attempting to improve their art businesses.
- Can a Business Model Sustain Art? - Create an innovative business model.
- Most of Your Art Marketing Will Fail - Maintaining the right mindset while selling art.
- Make Your Art Show Booth into a Gallery - Three takes on setting up an art show booth.
- Increase Your Profit Margins: Raise Your Prices
- Know Your Customer
- Is Your Art Right for the Corporate Market?
- Selling More Paintings with an Annual Secret Sale
- Build a Business on YouTube
Internet and Social Media
- 6 Ways to Boost Your Online Art Sales
- How Many People Do You Need On Your Mailing List?
- 5 Steps to Better Email Marketing for Artists
- A Fresh Social Media Strategy for Artists in 2017
- Location-Based Social Media: An Art Form Worth Perfecting
- Social Media Tips: It's About Quality, Not Quantity
- YouTube for Artists
- The MFA Years - Fully Funded MFA Programs - A list of affordable MFA programs.
- The Price to Pay - Four artists weigh in on the merits of getting an MFA
- For Artists Who Can’t Afford to Get an MFA, Alternatives Now Abound
- Student Loan Repayment Calculator - Determine how much to budget each month to pay off student loans.
- Studio Protector: The Artist's Guide to Emergencies
- For funding options, see Emergency Funding
Writing a Grant Application
- RISD Grant and Proposal Tips
- How to Write Grants For Your Art Project - Some steps to earn money for upcoming projects.
- NYFA Source
- New England Foundation for the Arts
- Arts Midwest
- South Arts
- Mid-America Arts Alliance
- Mid-Atlantic Arts Foundation
- Western States Arts Foundation
- The Alexia Foundation -Funding for students and professional photographers.
- Visura - Funding for photographers.
- The Gordon Parks Foundation - Short-time fellowships for artists who promote social justice.
- The Aaron Siskind Individual Photographers Fellowship Grants - Funding for photographers.
- Art Jewelery Forum - $20,000 grant for midcareer jewelery makers.
- Dorothea Lange-Paul Taylor Prize - $10,000 grant for documentary project writer-photographer duo.
- Pollock-Krasner Foundation - Merit-based and need-based grants for visual artists.
- Women's Studio Workshop - Grants and residencies for artists working in printmaking, papermaking, bookmaking, and ceramics.
- Puffin Foundation - $1,000-$2,500 grants for all kinds of artists whose genre/philosophy is uncommon.
- The Sustainable Arts Foundation - Unrestricted cash awards and residency opportunities to artists with families.
- ART WORKS - Grants for media arts professionals.
- Our Town - Grant for projects that help revitalize communities.
- UrbanGlass - Funding for artists working with medium of glass.
- The Vilcek Foundation - Annual prizes for immigrants in the performing arts.
- Princess Grace Awards - Grants for emerging theater, dance, and film artists.
- Patreon - Alternative source for funding through subscription system.
- Emphas.is - Crowdfunding for "meaningful projects."
- Pozible - Crowdfunding for projects.
- RocketHub - Global community for entrepreneurs.
- Indiegogo - Launchpad for entrepreneurial ideas.
- ArtistShare - Crowdfunding resource dedicated to artists.
- The Harriet Hale Woolley Scholarships at the Foundation des Etats-Unis - Funding for graduate-level practice in music and the visual art.
- National Sculpture Society, Inc. Scholarship - Scholarships of $2,000 for students studying sculpture.
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Visual Arts Fellowship - Scholarships for artists and art historians who reside in Virginia.
- Worldstudio Foundation AIGA Scholarships - $2,000-3,000 scholarships for arts students from minority or economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Union League Civic & Arts Foundation - Scholarships for visual arts students in Chicago.
- CERF+ - Voluntary task force supplying temporary relief to artists.
- HOWL Emergency Life Project (HELP) - Emergency support for artists who have participating in the HOWL Festival.
- The Haven - Assistance for artists facing career-threatening emergencies.
- Alliance of Artists Communities (AAC) Residencies for Artists Affected by a Natural Disaster - Short-term residencies for artists affected by natural disasters.
- Adolph and Esther Gottlieb Foundation, Inc. - Typically-$5,000 award to artists facing unexpected disaster.
- Artists' Charitable Fund - Financial support for artists struck by medical, fire or other distaster.
- Joan Mitchell Foundation Emergency Grant - Emergency financial support for artists working with painting, sculpture or drawing.
- Artists' Fellowship, Inc. - Financial assistance for artists "in times of sickness, natural disaster, bereavement or unexpected extreme hardship."
- Max's Kansas City Project - Emergency funding for professionals in the creative arts who live in New York state.
- Foundation for Contemporary Arts Emergency Grants - $200-$2500 in funding for artists dealing with hardship or who incur unexpected expenses for projects close to completion date.
- Visual Aid - Assistance to help artists with life-threatening illnesses continue work.
- The Dancers fund - Emergency funding for Chicago-based dancers.
- Be Creative -- Find a Job in the Arts - Advice on looking for jobs and getting your foot in the door.
- The Business of Art: A Q&A - Advice and guidance for arts administrators and art educators.
- How to Get a Job at a Museum - An overview of the types of museum jobs.
- How to Get a Job in Development - An overview of skills needed to get a job in development.
- Five Commonly Asked Interview Questions - Common questions for arts professionals.
- How Social Media Can Help Your Job Search - Networking on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- How Does A Gallery Find Me? - One gallerist's perspective.
Housing and Studio Space
- Artspace - National group for artist housing.
- Assets for Artists Space Finder - Selected artist space resources.
- TransArtists Studio Spaces - Studio space listings around the world.
- 4 Questions to Consider Before Renting a Space for Your Art Studio
- The Listings Project - Free newsletter of real estate opportunities for artists and creatives.
- SPACE Studios - Affordable studio space in London.
- Your Guide to Free and Cheap Studio Space in Brooklyn
Picking a Residency
- Asian Cultural Council - Arts exchanges in Asia.
- Japan Foundation - 2-12 month residencies in Japan
- Art Shape Mammoth International Artist Exchange - Exchanges to Iceland, Finland, and China.
- The Nordic Artists' Center - Artistic community in Scandinavia with accomodations provided.
- The American-Scandinavian Foundation - Grants for arts professionals to support intercultural dialogue.
- Arts Envoys - American arts professionals travel overseas to conduct workshops, give performances, and mentor young people.
- US-Cuba Artist Exchange - Encourages cultural dialogue between Cubans and Americas
- Sacatar Foundation - Six-to-twelve week residencies in a beachside town in Brazil.
- Alliance of Artists - United States residencies for all types of artists.
- Res Artist - Worldwide network of artist residencies.
- Trans Artists - Platform supporting international artist residencies.
- Residency Unlimited - Up-to-date information about artist residencies worldwide.
- U.S. National Parks Residency - 2-4 week residencies in North American national parks.
- MesArt Residency Listing - Broad list of residencies.
- China Residencies
- Air_J - Residencies in Japan
- Basil Alkazzi Artist-in-Residence - For painting artists who explore impact of light.
- Lighton International Artists Exchange Program - International residencies for visual artists and arts professionals.
- Woodstock A-I-R - For artists of color working in the medium of photography.
- McColl Center for Visual Art - Charlotte, NC-based residency program.
- Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture - Nine-week residency for painters and sculptors.
- The Millay Colony for the Arts - Residency for visual artists and composers of all experience levels.
- Isabel Stewart Gardner Artist-in-Residence Program - Flexible residencies for artists working in any medium.
- The Mattress Factory - Pittsburgh-based residency where artists create site-specific works.
- The Bemis Center - Residency for all types of artists that includes general stipend.
- Engaging Artists - For NYC-based artists interested in addressing the intersecting issues of labor, immigration, globalization, and economic justice.
Care & Preparedness
- Insurance in the Arts
- Actors Fund Health Insurance Resource Center
- Fractured Artlas Guide to Insurance for Artists - A collection of resources for health insurance, based on your type of work.
- Actors Fund Health Insurance Resource Center - Information on getting insured and workshops in LA and NYC.
- Artist Access Program, Woodhull Medical and Mental Health Center - Brooklyn-based program that exchanges $40 health care credits for one hour of creative work.
Insurance & Preparedness
- NYFA - Emergency Preparedness for Artists - Advice on preparing for natural disasters.
- NYFA - An A/V Presentation Primer for Artists - Advice on backing up data.
- NYFA - Business Insurance for Individual Artists - Advice on insuring your professional assets.
- The Basics of Insurance for Artists - A broad overview of types of insurance an artist might consider.
- Protect Yourself from Fraudelent Job Listings - How to avoid common job scams.
- Self Care for Artists - Five short articles on taking care of yourself to maximize productivity.
Legal Services for Artists
- Common Artist Legal Problems and How to Avoid Them
- Clancoo - News about art law.
- Photographers: Let the Shutters Fly - Know your rights as a photographer.
- Business of Art: Copyright, Fair Use, and the New Borrowers
- United States Copyright Office
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- Volunteer Lawyers for Artists - Chicago - Legal help and open seminars.
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts - New York City
- The Artists' and Innovators' Legal Clinic - Boulder, CO
- California Lawyers for the Arts
- sm-artly - Personal finance for artists.
- Building a Project Budget - Step-by-step instructions for project budget building.
- Are You Ready for Tax Season? - Three tips on thriving during tax season.
- Personal Finance for Artists - Concise round-up of what artists should know about personal finance
- On the Move - Advice for traveling artists.
- Mint - For keeping track of budgets and bills.
- WiseBread - Financial health and general wellbeing.
- Investopedia News and advice for investing.
- Wage for Work - Organization that advocates for equitable salaries for artists.
- Artist U - Artist-run incubator for changing working conditions for artists.
- Creative Capital - Workshops, Webinars, and Professional Development Resources for Artists
- Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council
- Tips for Artists Starting Out - Advice on networking, setting goals, and being realistic
- The Importance of Following Successful Living Artists - Define success and find role models.
- 10 Techniques from Professional Artists for Breaking Through Creative Block - Strategies to spark creativity.
- Americans for the Arts - Professional Development - Webinars and more.
- The Profitable Artist, Artspire, 2011 ($24.95) - NYFA's collection of "best practices" for planning and organizing a career in the arts.
- The Artist's Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love, Jackie Battenfield, 2009 ($11.00) - Tough love approach with workbook.
- Getting Your Sh*t Together: The Ultimate Business Manual for Every Practicing Artist, Karen Atkinson, 2014, 2014 ($28.99) - An all-encompassing, easy to follow guide for artists looking to better their business practices.
- The Profitable Artist: A Handbook for All Artists in the Performing, Literary, and Visual Arts, Artspire, 2011 ($15.62) - "Best practices" approach with anecdotes, interviews, and case studies.
- The Artist's Guide to Public Art: How to Find and Win Commissions, Lynn Basa, 2008 ($19.95) - Thorough guide to winning commissions.
- Create Your Art Career: Practical Tools, Visualizations, and Self-Assessment Exercises for Empowerment and Success, Rhonda Schaller, 2013 ($11.42) - 50+ career planning exercises.
- Starting Your Career as an Artist: A Guide for Painters, Sculptors, Photographers, and Other Visual Artists , Angie Wojak et al., 2011 ($11.52) - Evaluating goals and creating plans of action.
- ART/WORK: Everything You Need to Know (and Do) As You Pursue Your Art Career, Heather Darcy Bhandari et al. , 2009 ($12.75) - Comprehensive career guide.
- Art, Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist, Lisa Congdon, 2014 ($11.52) - Advice on turning your passion into profit, with chapters on copyrighting, marketing, licensing and more.
- Making Your Life as an Artist - Book and Workbook, Andrew Simonet
- The Artist's Guide to Grant Writing: How to Find Funds and Write Foolproof Proposals for the Visual, Literary, and Performing Artist , Gigi Rosenberg, 2010
- Art-Write: The Writing Guide for Visual Artists Vicki Amorose, 2013 ($7.99) - A practical guide on writing about your own art in order to connect with your viewers and advance professionally.
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life Anne Lamott, 2007 ($11.99) - Part narrative and part advice, a book about finding your voice in writing.
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, Stephen King, 2000 ($9.91) A "revealing and practical view of the writer's craft" that combines memoir and advice.
- The Writing Life Annie Dillard, 2009 ($8.36) - A collection of stories about what to expect in a life as a writer.
- Arts & Numbers: A Financial Guide for Artists, Writers, Performers, and Other Members of the Creative Class, Elaine Grogan Luttrull , 2013
- The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing, Benjamin Graham, 2006 ($12.81) - A well-established guide to investing money.
- Unshakeable: Your Financial Freedom Playbook Tony Robbins 2017, $15.06 - Financial coach shares advice on creating an actionable plan to save money.
- Random Walk Down Wall Street: The Time-Tested Strategy for Successful Investing, Burton G. Malkiel, 2016 ($13.56) - A guide to index-investing that will help you save in the long term.
- The Art Life: On Creativity and Career, Stuart Horodner et al., 2012
- Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative, Austin Kleon, 2012 ($12.95) - A guide to put readers of the digital age in touch with their creative side.
- Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All, Tom Kelley and David Kelley, 2013 ($32.00) - The founders of IDEO share how to nurture creativity and innovation.
- The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life, Twyla Tharp, 2003 ($7.19) - A set of thirty-two practical exercises to help drive creativity.
- The Artist's Way: 25th Anniversary Edition, Julia Cameron, 1992, $11.55 - A classic book filled with creativity-building exercises.
- Living and Sustaining a Creative Life: Essays by 40 Working Artists, Sharon Louden et al., 2013 ($9.99) - Artists' words on maintaining creativity.
- The Artist as Culture Producer: Living and Sustaining a Creative Life , Sharon Louden et al., 2017 ($41.98) - A sequel.
- The War of Art, Steven Pressfield, 2011 ($9.91) - A short, tough-love read about overcoming mental block.
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity, David Allen, 2015 ($9.90) - Book on personal organization with actionable plans.
- Thinking Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman, 2013 ($8.95) - Practical insights by a psychologist about using "slow thinking" to get things done.
- Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking, David Bayles & Ted Orland, 1993 ($12.95) - Why some art is created and why art often seems to scary to create.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie, 1936 ($9.90) - A timeless book about the best practices to make new acquaintances in order to achieve results.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change, Stephen Covey, 1989 ($10.57) - An all-encompassing manual for building great habits.
- Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill, 1937 ($3.99) - A classic, brief book on maintaining a positive mental attitude and achieving personal success.